News in brief

Hershey to close Brookside Abbotsford factory with loss of 180 jobs

Hershey to close Brookside Abbotsford factory with loss of 180 jobs

Around 180 jobs are to be cut due to the shutdown of the Hershey-owned Brookside Foods’ Abbotsford factory in Canada by the end of October.

Hershey acquired the Canadian confectionery company in 2011, as previously reported by this site. At the time, Hershey highlighted Brookside’s patented process for creating confectionery fillings based on fruit juice, saying the acquisition created an opportunity for Hershey to enter this category.

In a statement, Hershey said it will move 75% of Brookside production from its Abbotsford plant in British Columbia to the St. Hyacinthe plant in Quebec, and the remaining 25% to Robinson, Illinois.

“This decision was part of a comprehensive review of our manufacturing operations to find the most efficient and effective ways to manufacture Brookside products while continuing to meet consumer needs now and into the future,” the company said.

“We appreciate the outstanding work and dedication of the Abbotsford employees over the years,” it added. “Their efforts have contributed to making Brookside an international success. We recognize that this decision will impact employee’s lives and we are dedicated to easing the transition for displaced workers.”

Related News

Hershey's net sales rise for the first time this year ©iStock/tupungato

Hershey reports Q2 growth, continuing to target ‘snackfection’ trend

Hershey Trust must have 13 board members eventually.  Five out of nine current members will step down under AG agreement..©iStock/tupungato

Mondelēz may make second Hershey bid as five Trust members to leave

Hershey became the first major US chocolate brand to enter the meal kit market says Chef'd

Hershey partners with Chef’d to tap $2bn meal kit industry

Hershey launched Reese's Pieces Cups in mid-July. Photo: Hershey

Reese’s innovation gives Hershey Q3 sales uplift

Hershey plans more seasonal confectionery products in US c-stores

Hershey: C-store has ‘large’ growth potential for seasonal confections

Eleven volunteers from Hershey recently visited Manila Daycare Center V and VI in Baseco, consisting of 195 children.  Photo: Hershey

Hershey expands social program globally, gaining snacking and flavor insights

Hershey to close its store in Chicago by January 2017, but hasn't ruled out a return to the city. Photo: Hershey

Hershey to close own-store in Chicago to focus on larger experiential stores

Hershey's North America net sales grew 3.8% in Q4, while its international segment declined 0.5% due to struggling Chinese market. ©iStock/Terryfic3D

Hershey bets on multi-textural snacking and Chinese e-commerce for growth

Terry Thomas, President AAK USA, Inc. and Anne Mette Olesen, Chief Marketing Officer, AAK AB, cut the ribbon to officially open AAK’s AAKtion Lab in Edison, New Jersey.  Photo: AAK

Hershey looks to upgrade chocolate confectionery lab upon visiting AAK’s new innovation center

Hershey feeling consequences of delayed transition from American to international business, claims analyst

Hershey sees international glitch driven by China's weak chocolate appetite

Hershey spots opportunities in e-commerce in China, where online chocolate sales set to grow 21% per year

Hershey bets big on China’s e-commerce boom

Hershey takes shoppers outside of routines with displays tailored to occasions such as movies and grab & go. Source: Hershey

Just the occasion: Hershey’s 'store within a store' experiential displays up sales

After losing nearly $100m in 2015 Q2, how will Hershey fare the rest of the year?

China to blame as Hershey reports Q2 loss of nearly $100m

BarkTHINS acquisition will help Hershey restore full-year sales growth, says CEO. Photo: BarkTHINS

Hershey's barkTHINS buy an 'excellent move' as Q1 sales decline: Analyst

Comments (1)

Jeff Bridges - 10 Jul 2017 | 01:00

No Surprise

Hershey is notorious for buying Canadian plants and shutting them down. Funny they didnt move production to Mexico those cheap greedy sobs.

10-Jul-2017 at 01:00 GMT

Submit a comment

Your comment has been saved

Post a comment

Please note that any information that you supply is protected by our Privacy and Cookie Policy. Access to all documents and request for further information are available to all users at no costs, In order to provide you with this free service, William Reed Business Media SAS does share your information with companies that have content on this site. When you access a document or request further information from this site, your information maybe shared with the owners of that document or information.